If you are running your WordPress website on the Genesis framework, you have the option to show featured images on both category pages next to post summaries and on Genesis featured posts or featured page widgets. This is a great way to spice up the look and feel of your website as well giving content clues and enticing readers to click through to a post to read more.
Most featured images are square and the area of the image shown is automatically selected from the centre of the image. This works out well sometimes but other times the cropped area looks awful and conveys nothing to the reader. Some examples…
- Full length people are cropped to show bellies only
- Logos are cropped to show only a small unrecognisable section
In this tutorial, you will learn…
- How to edit the thumbnail version of an image so it shows the desired square section of the image while the original image remains the same
- How to setup Genesis to show featured images on category pages
- How to select a featured image for a post or page